5 Toxins Lurking in Your Home That Can Harm Pets

As National Animal Poison Prevention Week approaches from March 19 to 25, our team is passionate about informing pet parents of common household products that can be toxic to their furry friends.

#1: Medications

Pets, particularly food-motivated dogs, may snag up pills that have been dropped before their owners can reach them. Furthermore, they are also known to rummage through visitors’ luggage and pill bottles on counters in search of a nibble – unfortunately, this could lead to an overdosage which is fatal for pets. To avoid such circumstances from occurring, it’s important to contact animal poison control hotlines straight away if you suspect your pet has ingested any medication or foreign objects.

#2: Food

To protect your furry family member, it is important to keep an eye on them while they explore the kitchen. A variety of human foods can be dangerous and even deadly for a pet if ingested, such as chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, and unbaked yeast dough. Additionally, alcohol consumption could lead to alcohol poisoning or severe hypoglycemia in pets. Rather than risk counter-surfing from curious noses (and paws!), invest in a locking trashcan so that you may cook with peace of mind!

#3: Household chemicals

To guarantee the safety of your furry friend, make sure to lock away these commonly found chemicals from their reach:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover

#4: Houseplants

Houseplants and their associated chemicals can be highly toxic to your furry friends. Lilies are a particularly dangerous bloom for cats, as even brushing against the pollen could prove fatal. Other plants that may put your pet in danger include dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants; outdoor hazards such as ivy and oleander should also not be overlooked. To make sure you keep Fido or Fluffy safe while adding atmosphere to your home, it is essential to consult the ASPCA’s list of poisonous plants before choosing any greenery – no matter how beautiful it looks!

#5: Batteries and coins

Swallowing batteries or coins can lead to metal poisoning, while chewing and puncturing them may result in chemical burns. Even if an intact battery is swallowed whole, it still poses a risk of becoming a gastrointestinal blockage. Protect your pet by keeping these items out of reach!

In the event your pet has been exposed to a hazardous substance, it is important that you reach out to our team right away.